The Auditorium Hotel was built in 1926 by Houston investor Michele DeGeorge (1850-1927), who came to the United States from Sicily in 1882. Designed by architect Joseph Finger (1887-1953), the building features Italian Renaissance detailing in the upper stories.
Originally constructed across the street from the City Auditorium, now the site of Jones Hall, its history dates back to birth of the Houston Theater District and contributes to its significance as a Houston Landmark during the city’s commercial development. Theatrical stars performing at the neighboring Theaters were regular guests at the Auditorium Hotel.
In 1983, the Auditorium Hotel was renamed as the Lancaster Hotel, Houston’s first boutique hotel. In 1984, it was recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark and more recently, as the only qualifying hotel in Houston, became a member of the Historic Hotels of America. The Lancaster is also the only historic hotel in the city owned by descendants of the original developer and is Houston’s oldest continually operating hotel.
Today, The Lancaster Hotel is an exceptional venue located in Houston’s Theater and Business District. The local landmark has the charm of a traditional Houston hotel and offers tranquility and comfort where guests can relax amidst distinctive décor, original 19th century art, beautiful furnishings and outstanding service.